In the past few years, we have had several students successfully compete to be our commencement speaker. In one recent year, both our undergraduate and graduate commencement speakers had been Human Services students. They both had inspirational speeches:
Recent comments, made in a capstone course:
“I’ve never been more gung ho about anything in my life. I come from many different backgrounds and coming here and feeling like all of those were honored meant a lot to me.” Kristen, 2018
“NDNU was a no-brainer for me.” Dede, 2018
“As a student majoring in Human Services, my mission was solidified through the various courses I’ve taken at NDNU. All the Human Services Core courses… and other required courses … have widened my perspective in humanity and the many possibilities of service. It made me see myself differently, and what I can capable of. This is exciting for me because in the beginning of this journey, I felt I was in a wilderness, transitioning from Mary the mother of two awesome kids that worked all her life, to Mary the mother of two awesome kids, still working to make a living, and looking forward to working to help the living. I said to myself, this is crazy. Can anyone be this happy of their accomplishments and be this sure of their life’s purpose? ” Mariter, 2018
“With all that is going on in the world, this program and these instructors have brought me hope, helped me to see how many people are really focused on making the world better. The university’s Hallmarks reiterated the reasons that I came to this program and affirmed that I am on the right path.” Karina, 2018
“When I applied at NDNU, that’s when my life really changed. It was nice to feel welcomed, to feel part of a community, and to have people know my name. I am at the perfect college to further my education and benefit my future. There are such amazing instructors here…” Alison, 2018
Comments made during previous portfolio presentations:
- I am an all-around better version of myself because of this program at NDNU. I have learned much more than I had anticipated, helping me now and for the rest of my life. I know that if I had not have the opportunity NDNU gave me, I would not be where I am today.
- The courses as a while have helped me become more of a professional and a manager. They have helped me accomplish things with project management that I never thought possible a few years ago. Through this program, I have gained the ability to become a leader in my profession. With the skills and confidence I have gained here, I have the ability to choose where my life goes, not have it chosen for me.
- Being in this program has truly changed my life as an individual, as a student, and as an employee. It has helped me gain better understanding of others in a realistic way and has inspired me even more to help and make a difference. The support of the advisers and teachers within the program makes an extreme difference. It is not easy to come back to school, but they are very supportive. They aren’t just there assisting in class, but are available to help at your convenience and sometimes where it is convenient for you. I can’t think of anywhere else in my education where I have had that much support and encouragement.
- Completing this program has been the best decision I could have made. The instructors at NDNU have been the utmost most wonderful instructors I have ever met. I enrolled at NDNU as one person and will graduate as a new and improved person. The curriculum has led to renewed interest in my job abilities and social responsibility as a human being.
- I have studied at various educational institutions. I have never witnessed a more welcoming and respected community than NDNU. NDNU understands that the needs of students differ, which is so important to a community of working adults like myself, who want to continually learn and can do so because of this establishment.
- There is a personal story attached to each seven-week class that I have completed. Whether it was the time that my mom was recovering from surgery as I rushed to get into class on time or the time that I had just been awarded a recognition prize from my manager, the web of life continues through my journey each day. It has become stronger with knowledge, experience, and the connections that we have as we continue to grow, infusing our lives with education and knowledge. I am very grateful for the gifts that my experience at NDNU has provided to me.
- My overall assessment of the program is that it is extraordinary. The teachers really care about their students – each individual is respected and the teachers are readily available to help you succeed. My overall assessment of the core courses has been wonderful.
- I made sure I have gone out of my comfort zone in each class. I read books that I would never have read and worked with organizations that I have never worked with before but am interested in working with in the future. I believe that by doing that I have grown as a person, which would not have happened without NDNU.
- Seeking an education at NDNU was one of my wisest choices in life. Having been in the same organization for 28 years, I had become insulated to new ideas and theories; the courses opened my eyes to a variety of subjects. To quote a section from my final paper on Buddhism, “it’s not what I get from what I do, but rather from what I can give back.” I point well taken that I will never forget.
- The benefits of attending NDNU have been invaluable. Because the classes are small, it is easy to meet other students, many with diverse backgrounds. Being from another country myself, I enjoyed sharing my experience and gaining a broader worldview and cultural understanding from others.
Interested in enrolling or finding out more about our programs? Contact us for an appointment or to have questions answered:
Dr. Therese Madden (Intensive Business and Human Services) firstname.lastname@example.org